Sunday 1 July 2012

I know, I know I've been tardy with my blog, but just so you think I haven't been working on it I have.  Very busy in fact so lets look at the pics so I can tell you what I've done on it.

Here is the underside of the top of the kayak.  The kayak is upside down I had to crawl in the cockpit.  That was comfortable.  These are the bottom of the cleats and the speaker wire going from the Port speaker.  This makes it official.  The sound system and wiring project is complete.  Tick in the box.


Here are the top of the cleats.  These will be for the halyards and other lines I can't think of the name of yet.  I'm building it now.  I learn how to sail it later.


Here are the other wiring pics to show you how it went through the hull.




Here is the mast step that I have been working on as well.  (Yes I do have a shed. I don't do it all in the dining room.)  I found a piece of pipe at a scrap yard that fit perfectly.  The wood is oak.


Here it is dry fitted in the hull.  The bent pieces of metal will be fiberglassed around the pipe for added sticking support.  There is also a hole at the bottom of the step for water to get out of.


This is what it will look like inside the hull.  The top piece is for the pulley support system.  The piece of oak will be in the inside of the hull with the eye bolts sticking up through it.


I drilled the holes in the oak first so I knew where to drill the holes in the hull.  The oak is going to be on the inside.  

This is what it will look like when it's complete.


And here is the step epoxied up and ready to be installed.
  

I also got the pontoons drawn out, but not cut yet.  As soon as I get the kayak out of the house I can start on that. project.  Not long yet.  Here's a pic.


Basically it's just cut on the lines.  I'm designing these from scratch so I have to cut these out.  Stitch about half of it down the top, then use the rest of the side piece as a batten to finish off the rest of the line.  The picture to follow will make more sense.  You'll see.

So what's left for the kayak is the chain plates (which should be done in one night), the front handle (done in the same night), I have to build the lee boards so I know where the support will go on the side of the hull.  The support will be just a piece of wood sticking out of the hull for the lee board to rub against so all the weight of it won't be on a piece of 1/4 inch threaded rod.  I have to install one cleat, because I was in a rush and didn't check all the bolt lengths when I counted them out.  That was disappointing.  I have to redo the cargo hatch, install the most important thing, the cup holder.  Finally the whole thing is getting a paint job.  Same colours and design, jut to keep it easy.

Monday night the mast step is going in, and I'm going to tighten up the steering cables while I'm in there.  I just hope I have as much fun sailing this thing as I do building it.






No comments:

Post a Comment