Friday 6 July 2012

Yup, I'm bloggin'.

So here is what happened today.  Being out in the sun was a killer and now I'm pooped.  Didn't have enough time to epoxy tonight, but I will tomorrow night.

It was nice out so I went outside and cut all the panels for the pontoons out and the lee boards.


I used a jig saw so I had to plane the edges flat then sand them.  I was sweating so much it was crazy.  Flies were biting me too.  I wish the birds living in the neighbour's shed would eat them.


So here are the lee boards.  I was looking at my design and noticed the specs in triaksports.com said it should be 61cm below the water line.  I've added quite a bit of weight to the kayak.  I wonder how I could figure out the new water line.  I want to be precise.  ;)

Lee board in the up position.


Lee board in the down position.


I had to get my thinking toque on and figure out a way to lock it in place while it is down, or else the water would just push it back up while moving through it.  Friction keeps it up.

Here is what I devised in the matter of 20 minutes.   That included a few prototypes that fell by the wayside.




Ta Da!!!  I think that should work nicely.  There will be a nut on the other side to keep it from falling out.

So left over projects on the main kayak body include epoxy the bow handle, epoxy the lee board rub rails, and fix the hatch with is already half done.  I just have to epoxy the new catch onto it.

The aft end is pretty heavy.  I'm kinda worried.  We'll see.




No comments:

Post a Comment