Friday 18 May 2012

Sorry for the delay in posts.  Life got in the way of the boat.  You know who you are ladies.

So I had some time before some family shows up for Vicky's B-day and I got some epoxying done and fibre glassed the rudder.  I could only get the before and after shots.  Didn't want to get epoxy on my phone.

Before.



I put down a tarp so the floor wouldn't get epoxy on it.  The black mat is for boots and it was cheap.  Works great for catching the majority of drips.  On the kitchen peninsula I have my fibre glass and tools all ready to go.  


After

Shazzam.  Just like that it's done.  I put some West System 406 colloidal silica in to thicken up the mix and put that in between the nuts to fill in the gaps between the angled pieces of wood and the hull.  I took the whole thing apart and filled every nook and cranny full of epoxy.  I hate doing touch ups later.  Do it right the first time and it'll last for years.


Here's the rudder sitting upright.  I took two pieces of wood and wrapped them in plastic wrap and put a clamp on it to keep the rudder upright.  The epoxy doesn't stick to the plastic wrap unless there is a wrinkle in it.  I took the wrinkles out first.   Another tip is that vinegar isn't just for your fries.  You can use it to clean up the epoxy while it's still wet.  West system costs a bit, but the benefits are out of this world.

I didn't do the wing yet.  I don't have that much room to work so I can only do a bit at a time.  I'll epoxy it and fibre glass it too so it has a strong hold for when I attach the steering cables.




Here's a bird's eye view of the stern.  I think it looks pretty sexy.
I'm using West System 206 hardener.  It's the slow kind so I can have more time playing around.  It has a 25 minute set time.

That's it for today.  When the rudder is done I'll get the wing done and then just the cables to go.  I know I said I'd be done this weekend, but next weekend is just as good.  



No comments:

Post a Comment