Sunday 16 September 2012

I entitle this blog, "How to break your sailing kayak."

Things that should have told me not to go sailing today:

North wind where I had to sail North.
The fact that the farthest the sail boat moved up wind was when I was walking on the lake bed dragging the thing behind me.  (I did that for about an hour.)

And here are the things that broke today.

The rudder.  Not a very serious thing.  I can fix that in a couple of days with left over ply wood and epoxy.


The big break was the hull, by the wing.



I was moving along against the wind with the mainsail up when it really pulled to the side and the pontoon did it's job by keeping the boat upright.

I think I'll get the sails cut so there won't be so much force on the boat.

So I'm packing it away for the season and I have already designed a fix for this problem and reinforcements for it as well.

So that's it for the blog till next season.

Have a good winter everybody.


No comments:

Post a Comment