Thursday 26 April 2012

So the last couple of nights was rudder design.  This meant rulers, compasses, pencils, erasers, and Bristol board.  The design is right now I just need to get some aluminium and some Teflon bushings for the rudder to move smoothly against the side arms.  I know this doesn't make much sense, but I hope the picture explain it better than I.

Also the back handle will probably require a redesign due to the fact that you can't really use it wile the rudder is in the up position and both foot pegs are even with each other.  If the handle is kept where it is the rudder will have to lay down the starboard side with the foot pegs uneven from each other.  I think this might have to be the case, because the handle is in a great position for easy one handed movement of the kayak.

Really if I'm moving the kayak it doesn't really matter if the foot pegs are even or not.  I won't be in it.

Rudder dimensions are 2' long and 4" wide, using 1/8" plywood.  Now what colour to paint it.
The steering arms will be made of the same plywood with aluminium angle for the 90 or the whole arm piece will be aluminium.  Haven't decided yet.  It'll probably be aluminium.  The whole thing might be.  We'll see.

Supper is ready.  More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment