Monday 15 July 2013

So here I am ready to go sailing.  It's a pretty good setup.

I can fit all the big stuff on top and the rest in to back and still fit all the people in the car.

Here is a pic of me out on the water.

Looking up at the mast.

A picture of it in the weeds.

So this is her sailing.

Things learned on this trip.  How to steer with no rudder.

Yup, that's right.  Broke the rudder again.  The next one is going to be aluminium.

Also broke the starboard lea board.

Broke the stays on the mast connecting it to the top.
I wanted to redo their design anyway so this just means I'm doing it sooner.

Lost another batten for the sail.
I'm going to buy ten of them.  More the merrier.

The only thing that worked without flaw was the electrical system.

The best part of the day was a kid saying to his parents.  "I want one."

Also people keep asking me what it is, and where did I get it.

I guess that's why I named it Mana.  "What is it?"
Thanks Pastor Dan for the name suggestion.

Back to the boatyard.
No sailing today.

Stay tuned for the next adventure.

Sunday 7 July 2013

Ready to sail.

Ya.  I missed a couple of blogs, but I wanted to post it all in one so I guess I really didn't miss one.
I have a few surprises in store that I wanted to post all at once.

So here it is with the sun setting in the background.

I really like the red.  I think we have a final colour.

Didn't take too long to set up from last year.

Lookin' sexy.

Rear view.

My flag waving proud.

Forgot to paint the lea boards.  Maybe next year.

What's that hiding behind the seat?

Yup.  It's a bilge pump.

I noticed last year while getting in and out of "Mana" My water shoes would bring a lot of water in.  Problem solved.  Here is a shot of the discharge.


And here is the last surprise.

I still keep a whistle in my PFD.  Always need a backup.

This year was a fun ride.

I'll have more videos of my adventures with "Mana" soon.
Hopefully tomorrow if the weather holds up.

`Nice? It's the ONLY thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing--about--in--boats; messing----'

The Wind in the Willows
by Kenneth Grahame

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Red paint and rudder.

So ya.  I've been pretty busy with work and the non-stop rain wasn't helping much either.  I also forgot to post what I did last time.  I painted it red.  I like it.

Also there was more damage to the rudder system then I thought so I had to take some of it apart and put it back together again.  

I also had to redo the bottom catch of the hatch.  More work to follow on that tomorrow night.

I also added bigger feet to the mast holders while on the roof racks.

Here is the rudder all painted up.  Might need another coat then ready to be installed.

I also added a little bilge pump right behind the seat.  More pictures to follow.  It started to rain so I packed it up for the night.  More work tomorrow night, and BBQ too.  Mmmmm.

Monday 10 June 2013

So I did a little work tonight and took pictures of what I did the day before.

So here are the new wing mounts.  Note the thickened epoxy that will disperse the pressure from the pushing and pulling of the wings.

Here is the top of the broken wing mount.

It's been filled and sanded and I put a coat of epoxy on it, just to give it a protective coat.

Now all I have left to do is painting.

I was going to paint it red waterline down and black for the top, but I might paint the whole thing red.

Decisions, decisions.

Sunday 9 June 2013

So I've been slacking with the blog lately.

I got the wing mounts done and filled in the cracks in the hull.  I just need to wait for them to dry so I can sand them.  During this time I also used the left over epoxy to re-glue the weather stripping around the cargo hatch.  It came off and I had to fix the hatch itself.

Then I put a coat of boat paint on the pontoons.

I got the good stuff this year.

Now I just have to wait for epoxy to dry and more painting.

I think painting is about all I have to do.

Maybe install the bilge pump I got.  We'll see.

Thursday 30 May 2013

So here is the trough that I'm pouring the thickened epoxy into.  This way it will have a nice even surface for pressure to be distributed.

Here is the new rudder all epoxied up.

That's one project done.

Now I just have to pour the thickened epoxy into the Port side trough and then work on the outside.  I'll be smoothing the hull up so it is streamlined in the water.

After that a new paint job and I should be done for this season.  I'm going to paint it black.  The white was too bright on the eyes and really showed the dirt up.

Tuesday 28 May 2013

So I got the hard part of the major fix done tonight.  The Wing Mounts.

Here is the Starboard side.

Here is the port side.

I noticed the aft rods bent a little.  It's all good.  It took quite a bit of tinkering around to get it all done, but I did it.  This fix better work, because I don't know what else to do.

And here is a picture with the wing on.  I put it on to line up all the threaded rods.

I was going to put a coat of epoxy on the rudder, but I had company come over and I was tired.  So that will be the next project.  Probably Thursday.